Skip to main content

Guinness site development is on public consultation

By October 28, 2021November 28th, 2021Site development

A “vision” for a 10-year redevelopment of part of the Guiness site in the city of Dublin is currently under public consultation.

The modernization of the famous 260-year-old brewery freed up 12.5 acres in the James Street factory in The Liberties.

A “Guinness Quarter” proposal was first announced by Diageo in 2017.

After what has been described as a “three year selection process”, Sean Mulryan’s Ballymore Homes was announced as a development partner in September 2020.

However, Ballymore Homes says there are no details available on the plan yet.

When Diageo first announced the project, it announced that there would be room for 500 homes, as well as 63,000 m² of offices, 5,000 m² of shops and 22,000 m² for hotels and businesses. Hobbies.

A company spokesperson said the plan had “started from scratch since then.”

Graphic shows what a redeveloped ‘Guinness Quarter’ could look like

It has been confirmed that there will be mixed tenure for the housing on the site and that the Iveagh Trust will manage the social units.

It will also be the country’s first development to be carbon neutral.

The development, estimated at around € 1 billion, would occupy around 25% of the Guinness site.

According to a statement posted on the Ballymore Homes website, the development in central Dublin will be “one of the most exciting regeneration programs in Europe”.

Mr Mulryan said Guinness has become a symbol for Ireland.

Oliver Loomes (left), CEO of Diageo Ireland and Sean Mulryan (right), CEO of Ballymore

“St James’s Gate has over 260 years of history and therefore we have a unique responsibility to ensure that when this famous gate opens it opens to a place that is synonymous with good times and memorable experiences”, did he declare.

The company says it hopes to have a master plan ready for submission to Dublin City Council next year.

However, local councilor Darragh Moriarty said the lack of details on the delivery of housing, offices and cultural spaces is “disappointing”.

“It’s just a public relations exercise. What do they want people to give their opinion on? They will have to seriously engage with the local population and stakeholders,” said the Labor Party adviser.

The public consultation begins tomorrow in the Digital Hub and is scheduled to continue daily from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. until November 5.